This is my training update for the month of February. I intended to post it yesterday but I was recovering from a hard couple of days work on finishing up the March 2014 monthly research review.
Overall, I didn’t really make any progress in February because I spent the first half of the month on vacation and then the second half getting back to where I was before I went away. To be honest, I am not quite back there yet, so essentially in some respects I have gone backwards. Given that I did lose a few pounds while I was away this isn’t the end of the world as I am a bit leaner than I was but that’s what picking up a stomach bug when traveling will do to you…
The only change to my workouts this month (apart from the drop in some of the weights) is that I have switched the sumo deadlift for conventional deadlift off 2″ blocks, which when you are strict about your back position is very similar to a conventional deadlift from the ground but just takes a little bit of the load off the lower back. I can’t do sumo for that long before it starts to aggravate my hip, so this was a planned change.
Workouts in February
During the second half of February (while I was actually in the country), my workouts looked pretty much like this:
- Incline bench – 80kg – 6 sets of 4-5 reps
- Incline bench dumbbell rows – 70kg – 6 sets of 9-10 reps
- EZ bar curls – 45kg – 3 sets of 6 – 8 reps
- Back squat – 140kg – 6 sets of 4-5 reps
- High rack pulls – 170kg – 3 sets of 5-8 reps
- Hip Thruster – 110kg – 3 sets of 8-10 reps
- Conventional 2″ block pulls – 150kg – 6 sets of 2-3 reps
- Wide grip pull-up – 30kg – 4 sets of 5-6 reps
- Dips – 40kg – 4 sets of 4-5 reps
- EZ bar curls – 45kg – 3 sets of 6-8 reps
- Anderson front squat – 100kg – 8 sets of 2-3 reps
- Low rack pulls – 160kg – 3 sets of 5-8 reps
Conditioning in February
During the time in February while I’ve been in the country, I have been keeping to my normal routine of walking around the block 3 times per day for 30 minutes per walk (1.5 hours in total per day).
Also, as a warm-up to each resistance-training workout, I’ve increased my rowing to 10 minutes on the Concept 2 rowing machine at 2:15 pace, which adds up to 50 minutes of moderate aerobic work per week. (When I got back from vacation, I dropped the high-intensity conditioning after each after the lower body workouts until I got used to the workload again. I’ll start them again soon).
Plan for March
I am not planning on changing much in March other than I am going to start doing some cycling this month – I have a 60-miler coming up at the end of April. Next update at the end of the month. See you then!